Wednesday, September 20, 2006

College students...

I've either been a college student or working with them for the past nine years. But when my pastor asked me last night what I thought our church should be providing for that very group, I went blank. The question is particularly hard since we're not just talking about any college students. We're talking about students who are required to go to two church services a week, to take five Biblical Studies classes as part of their core curriculum, and who are challenged on a near-daily basis by peers and faculty alike to grow in their faith. What do these students need from a church on Sunday morning?

I don't know that we came to a solid conclusion last night, even after several hours of discussion. I know these students want real-ness, they want honesty (and not the syrupy sugar-coated kind), they want "relevance" (but I doubt even a few could define what exactly they mean by that). And they don't just want all of that from their church, they want it in every relationship in which they participate.

When people ask me what the point of church is, I usually have a stock answer - it's for regular fellowship with a body of believers, for accountability, for support, for teaching from a person or persons to whom you've submitted yourself, for community. But the college students around here already get all of that on an almost daily basis. So, we're back to the question...what do these students need from a church on Sunday morning? I honestly don't know the answer.

Any suggestions?

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home