Saturday, August 12, 2006

Rock Star - Week 6

Here's what I thought about this week's show...

I was looking forward to the rockers performing their original songs this week, but alas, that was only a clinic. You can hear the songs and see some of their sessions at the Rock Star website.

Dilana - Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
Gilby plays along and they work very well together. Dilana makes the most of that "dirty" quality in her voice and wows the crowd, Supernova, Dave, and me. Gilby says that after that performance, he has no doubt a woman can front their band.

Jill - Mother Mother - Tracy Bonham
Back to back with Dilana, it's really easy to see Jill's faults. She's a solid performer, but she just doesn't hold up. Tommy Lee thinks it's her best performance so far, but Jason says she lost the power of her voice in all the running around on stage. I really think this is her last week.

Ryan - Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones
I'm so distracted by the painted-on Robin (as in "Batman and...") mask around his eyes, that I can't even concentrate on this song! Dave says the entrance and the reveal prove Ryan's a contender, but Tommy's unsure. Gilby says his vocals are awesome. He's good, but just not my thing.

Storm - We Are the Champions - Queen
Just as a sidenote here, Storm's MySpace page lists her style as Rock and Christian Rap. Um, that's definitely not what she is, so I have to wonder if that's a joke? An oversight? Who knows? Anyway, I generally think no one should perform this song except Freddie Mercury, but Storm does well. Tommy says he hopes they haven't scared the rock out of her and she assures him she'll spank the crap out of him again. It cuts to her laughing really hard, and I think the television audience missed a joke.

Zayra - All the Young Dudes - David Bowie
Magni's backing her up on guitar and she's wearing this. Zayra says in a pre-interview that she only dresses to wow herself. I think she's just having fun with us at this point! Vocally, though, this is an extremely strong performance. I actually enjoyed it! Gilby says he enjoys the showmanship, but she was flat on that song. Who cares? Obviously the producers are just keeping her around for our viewing pleasure, so whatever. I think the band is getting close to having enough, though.

Josh - Interstate Love Song - STP
Tommy Lee surprises Josh and backs him up on drums. So, you know how Scott Weiland had that really interesting quality in his voice that basically gave STP their sound? Yeah, Josh doesn't have that. The band says they enjoyed it. As a sidenote here, Tommy Lee is so out of breath after playing this one song, I have to wonder if he can even handle a full-length show.

Magni - The Dolphin's Cry - Live
I had a really bad first impression of Magni, but in the last few weeks, he's really been impressing me. I literally got chills during this performance, so it's my pick this week for you to watch. It was amazing and very sweet to see his family there watching. Mad kudos from Supernova.

Patrice - Instant Karma - John Lennon
The pigtails have got to go, Patrice! This is a great arrangement and I still think she has a great voice, but she's just not on par with some of the others. Dave says it was an excellent song choice and she did a good job. And that's the thing. It was good. It was fine. It just wasn't great or memorable.

Lukas - Creep - Radiohead
I'm really not loving Lukas very much at this point, but Supernova loves it. Whatever.

Toby - Burning Down the House - The Talking Heads
Why was this song even an option for selection? What do they expect out of the person who chooses it? Anyway, the arrangement is awesome and gives the house band a chance to show off a bit. At the end, though, Toby pulls out a megaphone with Australian flags on the side. It's just too cheesy. Dave says Toby is better than that and doesn't need props at this point. Supernova's okay with it, though, and says it proves he can change it up a bit.

I think...
Encore - Magni
Bottom Three - Jill, Josh, Patrice
Going Home - Jill

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home