Tuesday, August 08, 2006

MySpace, Facebook...BattleCry?

So, I'm a confessed MySpace-aholic. I love staying connected to current friends, I love reconnecting with old friends, and I sometimes love making new friends. I would consider myself a smart user, not putting too much info out there and only accepting individuals I personally know as friends. There are a lot of parents out there, however, who are really worried about their kids being on MySpace or similar sites. In my opinion, these kids just need to be educated so they don't end up in trouble. But I understand the fear.

Could BattleCry.com be the answer? The site, powered by TBN, aims to unite teens and adults in the fight for a generation being demonized by the media. I have to say, the site looks really cool and the idea behind it is sound. But does it have to be so cheesy? I really don't want to be negative about something so positive, but calling your BattleCry friends your "TrenchMates" and calling your profile your "Battle Plan" just seems a little cheesy to me. Don't get me wrong, I really wish the people behind this site all the best and pray they are truly able to make a difference in this generation.

But all of this begs the question...can you talk about Christianity and be relevant? Can you talk about Jesus and be cool? Is that, or should that be, a goal?

I really am not sure about that last one. Our goal shouldn't be to water down the Gospel so that it appeals to everyone, but certainly there are ways of discussing it that open doors more readily than other ways, right?

These are simple questions, I think, but not easy ones. I'd love to hear your opinion.

Peace. Out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! That's all I have to say.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I don't know anything about Teen Mania, but I've heard good things. The article I linked to said it was powered by TBN, but that could be misinformation. Not sure.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home