Tuesday, August 30, 2005

When you're in the mood for a little something different...

Recently I've had the opportunity to see two rather out of the ordinary movies and both were surprisingly enjoyable. I just want to recommend them for when you're in the mood for something other than your run of the mill chick flick or action movie.

First, Kung Fu Hustle. KFH was out earlier this year in theatres. It's a Chinese martial arts movie, but has so much unexpected humor! Some of the action sequences are a little violent, but if you are accustomed to martial arts films, I don't think there's anything unexpected. It's in Chinese, but on the DVD you can choose to watch it with subtitles or listen to it dubbed in English. I'm generally not a fan of the dubbing, but it works with this movie. The lines they steal from other movies? Priceless!

Second, is The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai. BB is your classic neurosurgeon by day, rock star crime solver by night. :) This movie (from the late 80's) is all about his adventures through the 8th dimension. ABB may be the absolute most random movie of all time. The great thing is it's funny in a ha-ha way and also funny in a what-in-the-world kind of way. A bonus for Alias fans is seeing Carl Lumbly as a Rastafarian alien from the 10th planet!

I know it's often overwhelming to go to the video store or look at your Netflix list and try to pick out something that will be entertaining, but not like everything else you've seen. I think both of these movies meet that criteria. If you get the chance to watch them (or have seen them), let me know what you think!

4 Comments:

Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

I saw Red Eye too! It wasn't as scary as I thought a Wes Craven film would be...but it was a great movie. I have to agree with you ashleigh on that one.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Did anyone else see "The Jacket"? I was actually really surprised at how much I liked it. I would recommend it to anyone.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

I think Cillian Murphy (Dr. Crane) is very hot. I'd almost say he's on the same level as Johnny Depp in my mind. Which is sad, because I thought no one would ever come so close to Johnny. None the less, Murphy easy on the eyes, and I'm a fan.

On a different note, what is the problem with INXS? When are they going to let go of JD?! Must we suffer through him yet another week?

4:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Iris,
I'm going to start an INXS discussion and copy your comment over there.

Sorry, but I just don't see it in Cillian Murphy, although, I'm a BIG Johnny Depp fan!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home