Thursday, July 28, 2005

Out with the old, in with the new...

Can I just say...I'm so tired of "new bands." If I have to hear some new band heralded as The Next (Fill in the Blank), or as The Answer to Rock's Prayers, or as bringing a New Sound to Music, there may very well be gnashing of teeth.

I'm not trying to say I don't enjoy stumbling upon a new band. I love music and I love being exposed to new things. It just seems like the old bands who are still really good can't get any respect unless they break up, then release a comeback album, or stage a reunion. And it seems like it's the "in thing" to be a "new band" rather than a solid, established band. So, the old bands are taking some time off, then coming out with a new album (Oasis), going on tour (Duran Duran), and possibly coupling that with a reality show (Dee Snyder...hee hee).

Of course, there are some artists who are so old, they're new again...Johnny Cash, Ray Charles. These I don't mind so much, as I've always been a fan of the classics.

I guess I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to revolutionize music. It's like they're all just trying too hard. I understand that there are natural evolutions and progressions between styles of music, but everything these days just seems so...forced. So marketed. So affected.

Or perhaps I've finally crossed over into old fogey territory...they just don't make music like they used to.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Praise God for James Taylor, Chicago and the Eagles. It's a reminder that at one point in history, people DID in fact know how to sing!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Barrett said...

Yeah, U2 totally breaks your mold Michelle. New and old, they are classic and revolutionary at the same time.
at least, that is my opinion...

12:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I agree with you Barrett. I think it was a huge step for them to be chosen for that iPod commercial...I would've expected to hear a new band's first single or a classic song. But to hear a classic band's new single...very cool.

My frustration is that a lot of people seem to be looking for (trying to be?) the "new U2," for example. There's nothing wrong with the "old U2" so why are we looking for a replacement?

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home