Saturday, August 06, 2005

Characters welcome...

I love commercials. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to skip past them (thank you, TiVO) when I'm not in the mood, but I really love them. I'm not talking about the local mom'n'pop ads, the previews of what's coming up on the late-night news, or even the "Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode" ads. I'm talking about those commercials that take some thought, some creativity. A few come to mind that have really stuck out over the years....the VW Jetta ad where the guy tackles the grocery cart before it hits his car, the Fruit of the Loom ad that's like a country music video "You Can't Over Love (Your Underwear)," and the Starbucks commercial with the group "Survivor." But the best commercial I've seen so far comes from the USA Network.

USA has come up with a new slogan, "Characters Welcome." It's such a fitting slogan for them because they're host to shows like "Monk," "Dead Zone," "The 4400," and WWE Wrestling. The commercial that goes along with the slogan is pure genius. The copy is amazing, the visual images are captivating, and it fits perfectly with the "characters" theme. You can watch the commercial online, and I encourage you to do so. Especially if you're involved in video production or any kind of creative field.

I also encourage you to adopt this slogan for life. Be open to those around you who might seem a little off, a little different. Seek them out and find something you can learn from them, if it's only to be yourself at all times. Make your life such that characters are always welcome.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barrett said...

good stuff. i like the v/o. i like his voice.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I too love my tivo and the "characters welcome" commercials. I would have to say though the Monk ones are my fav because I just enjoy the OCD.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home