Thursday, August 25, 2005

Welcome to Grad School...

So, I started my Master's classes at UGA this week. Monday morning, bright and early at 9 am, I had my first ever graduate school class. It was Proseminar in Mass Communication. There are about 20 people in that class and surprisingly few of them come from a Comm undergrad. The class is basically an overview of Mass Comm and is mostly discussion-driven. Our big project will be writing a thesis proposal at the end of the semester (eek!). The teacher, Dr. Hamilton, seems really smart and is very animated when he talks, which is great for keeping the class engaged.

At the end of Monday's meeting, I was a little skeptical about the whole grad school thing. I enjoyed the class, but didn't feel like I had really connected with anyone. Actually that meeting made me feel really sympathetic towards commuters...it seemed like everyone already knew each other from previous classes or living in Athens or whatever, and I was coming in from the outside. I'm pretty sure most of that was in my head, but I felt in nonetheless.

I went into my Monday afternoon class (Programming and Criticism in Telecommunications) a little nervous, but soon found out I had nothing to worry about! There are just 7 of us in the class and everyone is a tv/film/music junkie! Dr. Kohn, my professor, is so funny and seems to love tv and movies as much as the rest of us do. I'm really looking forward to this class despite the 150 pages of reading he assigned for this week!

Yesterday, Wednesday, I met with my third class of the semester, which is Research Methodology in Mass Comm. This class was always going to be really dry, but I think the instructor, Dr. Becker, will do a good job of making it interesting. He's really soft-spoken, but has a lot of research experience and seems to want to make the class as interesting as possible. In my other two classes, everyone (including the teacher) sat around a conference table and discussed everything. This class will be more traditional (desks, teacher at the front, Power Point), but I know I'll learn a lot and will hopefully come out on the other side excited about research! One of the best things about our Wednesday meeting was that I got to talk to several people from my Monday morning class. They were super nice and really interesting, so I think I'm on my way to becoming an "insider"!

So, all in all, it's been a great week. I love talking about tv and movies, and that's what this program is all about. I'm sure there will be many stressed-out posts to come, but for now I feel really good about the program and I'm looking forward to my classes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home