Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Young Hollywood...

Paul and I got back from vacation the other night and watched a little TiVO before bed. We got to see the Lindsay Lohan interview on Letterman. As I was watching, it struck me what a contradiction she and others in Young Hollywood are. I mean, she came out in a black see-through (no, really, see-through) dress that was way too mature for an 18-year-old to be wearing. During her interview she was attempting to turn on the charm for ol' Dave and succeeded a few times. Mostly, though, she just giggled and got embarrassed and looked like a little girl trying on Mommy's clothes.

It just hit me that so many of the "celebrities" who are popular right now are so young. This is probably yet another sign that I'm getting older, but I can't believe how often teenagers or people in their early 20's are popping up. Flipping through any celeb magazine you'll see Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Jessica Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johannson, Mischa Barton, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Katie Holmes, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, and plenty more who are all 30 (Angelina) or younger. It's crazy! And the even crazier thing is that most of these have been famous for years! Don't get me wrong, I love celebrities and I enjoy reading about what they're up to, and part of me thinks it's a little bit cool to read about people my own age. BUT...it's also a little disturbing.

Over vacation we watched the Sex and the City episode, "Hot Child in the City," where a group of thirteen-year-olds are acting (and dressing, and talking) like they are already in their 30's. Samantha, who is in her 30's and well, a bit of a slut, realizes at the end that she had been envious of the leader of that group, who was rich and had everything, until she realized she had something those younger girls didn't...a childhood.

That's where I am with all of these celebrities. I mean, of course I think it would be fabulous to have been on tour for a few years, to have made a few movies, to afford Louis Vuitton luggage and shop at Kitson, to get Ken Paves to do my hair, and all of those other perks that come along with being a celebrity. But I don't think I'd want that in place of my childhood. Lindsay Lohan isn't even 19 yet! She should've just danced all night at the Prom, graduated high school, gone to grad week at the beach, and be getting ready for college. Instead, she's out partying with people 10-20 years older than her (David Spade was at her birthday party, for heaven's sake!).

I just think it's really sad that (a) they are not getting to experience the joys and wonders of childhood and (b) that they are probably rubbing off on the teenagers and tweenagers in the normal world. Little by little innocence is lost until you get to the point where you have to look to elementary school to find it. Are we there already? I certainly hope not.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barrett said...

Michelle, I have often veiwed your obsession with Hollywood a bit amusing. I am remembering some conversations I overhead between you and Bird in that blasted Media Critism class. What I have come to realize is, you are much more into it that I had even suspected. you wrote "Louis Vuitton luggage and shop at Kitson, to get Ken Paves to do my hair," and I thought, 'i haven't heard of any of those people/items/places.' perhaps it is me who is just out of touch. that is very possible.
(hope you don't take this as critical, i just find it amuzing.)

i agree with you though about the young ones. it seems easier for girls to be young and famous than guys though. it is usually 28-35 year old guys who start getting the big roles.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Barrett said...

perhaps blogger.com should put a spell check in their comments section.

i have been writing since i was 5 and i still can't spell. arg.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Louis Vuitton - French designer label that makes clothing, luggage, and purses worn and carried by the stars (and an astounding number of participants in TD Jakes' MegaFest 2004).

Kitson - chic boutique in LA that sells pop culture clothing like Desperate Housewives tee shirts and Team Aniston/Team Jolie shirts.

Ken Paves - Jessica Simpson's hairstylist.

I like to think of my interest in celebrities and pop culture as a hobby. That Media Criticism class you mentioned was one of my favorites at EC. It got me thinking on such a deeper level about how the media manipulates the audience. I love looking at magazines like US Weekly and seeing what pictures they choose, what fonts they use, and how they phrase their headlines. I love seeing what kinds of things will influence the culture and trying to pick what the next big thing will be. Some might call it a waste of time, and it very well may be. But I enjoy it. :)

I didn't take offense to what you said, Barrett. I'm happy to amuse! And you're right about the younger guys...I realized that as I was typing up my post. I can't think of very many guys (any?) who have the same level of fame that those girls have and are the same age.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home