Saturday, June 18, 2005

What are we doing here?

Paul and I are visiting the Wheelers this week in eastern NC. This past Thursday and Friday, we went out to Manteo, NC, where the first English colony settled in the New World. You may remember them as the "Lost Colony." We saw a theatrical production depicting the events leading up to the colony's disappearance and it got me thinking...That colony disappeared over 400 years ago (in the late 1580's) and yet crowds still visit the site and walk the grounds where they were settled. If our world survives (and the Lord tarries) for another 400 years, what are we doing now that will still hold significance and import for that generation?

I think it is probably common of those my age to wonder what it's all about. Does anything we do matter? Are we making a difference? I would certainly hope that it wouldn't be something like my disappearance that would make my life memorable. And I hope the same is true for my generation. But I look around at Generations X and Y and I have to wonder. What are we doing here? What significant good or bad effects are we leaving on the world around us?

Will Seattle end up being the most important city of our generation because it was the birthplace of Starbucks and alternative music? Or maybe the ATL where rap music was re-born? Will we go down in history as the generation that lived by those immortal words "Here we are now/Entertain us?"

Or maybe, just maybe, we'll be the generation that finally finds a cure for AIDS and cancer. Maybe we'll end poverty and starvation all over the world. Maybe we'll learn to live in peace with those from other races, other cultures, other religions.

My personal belief is that we are one of the last generations. I do believe Jesus will come back before too long. But what if He doesn't? What if it's another 400 years? What kind of world will your great-great-great-great-etc. grandchildren live in? And what will have been your part in it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Barrett said...

I think about this a lot. what i am doing that will have an effect on history, and a positive effect on/for the Kingdom of God.

I personally think that we are 1000 years or so away from seeing Jesus' return....

1:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Barrett - I'm sure you have reasons for believing we're about 1000 years out from Jesus' return...could you share them? If not here, email me!

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home