Friday, September 16, 2005

Crash into me...

This is what happens when people stop being polite, and start being real. Paul, Amy Harper, and I watched the movie Crash last night. If you haven't heard of it, it's a movie about race relations in LA. It involves a lot of characters whose lives intertwine in interesting ways. It's one of the best and most difficult movies I've ever watched.

Right from the beginning, you just can't believe the racial slurs and race-based insults that are hurled about. Even having been raised in the South, it is still so hard for me to believe that people can really be so biased against another human being for no other reason than the color of their skin. Or that people truly believe that stereotypes are representative of every single individual who happens to be part of a particular group.

This movie broke my heart in places. My heart just hurts for people who live in such a narrow-minded reality. It was also really challenging to me to think about how I incorporate stereotypes into my own assessment of people. I don't think it's possible to live without them, but the way I handle them should be representative of my relationship with Christ. I should be loving people because they're people, not because they do or don't fit into a certain category.

**10 points to the person who can tell me where my opening line comes from. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

10 points to Bird!

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home