Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Best in Show...

Saturday night, Paul and I went to see Lovedrug and The Juliana Theory at the Masquerade in Atlanta. This was one of the best rock shows I've been to in a LONG time! I'm a big fan of both bands, but had never seen TJT live.

Lovedrug has always been good, but it's amazing what a year on the road will do for a band! They were so tight and Michael Shepard's voice never fails to amaze! He may have the best live singing voice ever!! If you don't have their album, Pretend You're Alive, I would highly recommend it. They also played a lot of new stuff that was at least as good as the old and maybe a little better.

As I said, this was the first time I had ever seen The Juliana Theory in concert, but had heard they were really good. I had also heard they came off really snobby live. I would say both of those statements are true!

I so wish that I had had a camera, because I don't know if I can truly capture the look on the lead singer's face with words. When he's not singing, he looks very confidently into the eyes of the audience. His stare never wavers. He waits for applause with a knowing look. "I know you love this song. And if you've never heard it, you're going to love it. So, I'll just wait here until you realize that yourself."

I'm usually really critical of front men, but, oddly enough, I wasn't put off by that look at all. Perhaps it was because I did love that song (and that one, and that one, and that one...) and the performance completely backed him up. He was spot on all night vocally and the band was amazing! Their new stuff was good, but my favorite stuff is from "Love".

All in all, it was an awesome show. I couldn't have been more pleased with the experience. Plus, I never get tired of feeling like the oldest person at these concerts...except, of course, for the Dad who brought his emo kids! Paul and I said that will be us in 15 years...except we'll be making our kids go with us rather than the other way around!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home