Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Rock Star - Week 3

Here's what I thought about last week's performances...

Patrice - Helter Skelter, The Beatles - I think she has one of the best raw voices in the competition, but she had some issues with this song. Good opener, though.

Josh - Come As You Are, Nirvana - Maroon 5 should never cross with 90's grunge! I couldn't have imagined this song as boring, but it certainly is in this performance. One of the worst performances this show has ever seen.

Storm - Just What I Needed, The Cars - I don't really dig her facial expressions sometimes and the pole dance routine with the mic stand is sooo cliche! She has an amazing voice, there's just something that keeps me from really liking her.

Lukas - Let's Spend the Night Together, The Rolling Stones - He has such an awesome voice! He's really a true performer and it shows every time he's on stage. Dave says he comes off "arrogant...and that's awesome!"

Jill - All Right Now, Free - I like her so much more now than I did in the beginning of the competition. The mix of screaming and singing really works better for her than either/or and she does a great job.

Ryan - Fortunate Son, CCR - Well, he's no John Fogerty! I don't really enjoy his voice at all. The band asks if he's having any fun and Ryan sweetly smiles into the camera...cheap! CHEAP!

Phil - White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane - Well, he's no Grace Slick! Jason Newsted joins Phil onstage to play bass, and the band enjoys the performance. I think they just liked having Jason up there, though. Phil starts this song with too much intensity (rather than slowly building) and ends up with nowhere to go.

Dana - It's My Life, Bon Jovi - You know it takes a lot for me to not enjoy a Bon Jovi song...and I didn't enjoy this one! She's just too Broadway (or Celine Dion, as Tommy Lee says!) for rock and roll.

Toby - Runaway Train, Soul Asylum - One of the best songs to come out of the 90's! Toby does a good job, but the band is disappointed and felt bored. I agree it wasn't the most energetic performance, but this guy can sing! You have to pay attention to that. And he's so pretty!

Magni - Plush, STP - First of all, he's wearing huge black Jackie O. sunglasses with "DOLCE" (as in "and Gabbana") written on the side in rhinestones. I'm already turned off! Vocally he's not bad, but I just cannot get into his whole vibe. But the band digs it.

Zayra - Everybody Hurts, REM - She's got the whole Sinead O'Conner thing working on this one, but I don't think that has anything to do with Supernova! The band loves it, but I think they're just infatuated!

Jenny - Drive, Incubus - Utterly forgettable except for the ginormous acoustic she's playing.

Dilana - Zombie, The Cranberries - I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I. LOVE. HER!! She's such a performer and is always in complete control of the atmosphere in the room. She's definitely the one to beat right now.

My prediction for the bottom three: Josh, Dana, Jenny, maybe Ryan. And Jenny or Dana will go home.

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home