Monday, July 31, 2006

Lady in the Water...

Or the "watty" as my nephew Gabe would say. :)

I saw M. Night Shyamalan's latest offering over the weekend, and I'm very impressed. I would even say that, other than The Sixth Sense, this is my favorite M. Night film so far. Paul Giamatti and Bryce Dallas Howard are amazing. The supporting actors (including M. Night himself) do a great job at just that...supporting. The story is developed and discovered at just the right pace, and I was drawn in to the magic and mystery of the fairytale. I love that even the smallest character plays an important role in the overall story and that the question of purpose is answered for each.

From a more technical viewpoint, M. Night does an admirable job at setting up oddly disconcerting camera angles, that only enhance the feeling of uncertainty and confusion. The angles often seem to be from the perspective of someone else watching the events unfold, which fits with the overall action of the movie.

There will be some who feel that the movie is too slow or even too predictable (and it is certainly more predictable than some of M. Night's others), but I thought it was sweet and beautiful and definitely worth seeing.

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home