Monday, July 31, 2006

Rock Star - Week 4

Here's what I thought of last week's performances (and I think this catches me up, so I'll try to do better about posting closer to the actual show!)...

Lukas - Bittersweet Symphony, The Verve - I was completely distracted for the first 3/4 of this performance because he just held an electric guitar. Didn't hit a single note until almost the end. Weird. He is such a personality and has a really great voice, but I'm ready to see him be stretched a little more! His whole act is getting kind of old.

Zayra - Call Me, Blondie - Where do you even buy clothes like that? A superhero store?* I'm sorry, Zayra, but I just really don't like you. Don't like your voice, your look, your style, or your attitude. But, you do make for good TV. The band doesn't like this performance, but Jason Newsted would still make her his wife.

*I tried and tried to find a picture of this, but can't find anything that does it justice. So, try to imagine this - it's a skin-tight, electric blue, spandex catsuit, that has the side panels and back cut out of it. She's wearing white knee boots as well. Wha....???

Dana - About a Girl, Nirvana - Wow! She definitely wins for most improved. The straight hair does wonders for her and this stripped down acoustic performance tones down the Broadway in the mix. She gets major props from the band. Definitely watch this one!

Patrice - Remedy, The Black Crowes - Patrice is this year's Susie. She's a pretty powerhouse, but ultimately doesn't have what it takes to win. Dave says he's getting bored, and I kind of agree.

Toby - White Wedding, Billy Idol - Lots of energy and provides a great answer to last week's challenge from the band. IMHO, he's the best male voice in the competition, hands down.

Magni - Heroes, David Bowie - Such a wonderful song! This is the first time I've heard Magni sound like a professional singer. Vocally, this was definitely his best performance. The band is disappointed that he stayed so stationary for this song. But I kind of liked that. Diff'rent strokes, I guess...

Ryan - I Alone, Live - Definitely one of his best performances (Dave agrees) and the perfect song choice for his voice (Tommy).

Jill - Brown Sugar, The Rolling Stones - Gilby played with her on this one and tells her at the end that he was disappointed with all of the "grinding". He says she's better than that and doing that onstage is a female copout. Dave disagrees with Gilby and says, um, well, let's just say he liked it and not print the direct quote, shall we? I fall somewhere in between the two. Jill definitely gave a sexy performance, as befits the song, and her vocals were really good. I like and appreciate her so much more now than I did in the beginning, and that's gotta be saying something!

Phil - One Headlight, The Wallflowers - I really hate Phil onstage. I agree with Jason who said a few weeks ago that Phil's ok if you close your eyes while he performs. The band is divided on Phil's stage presence.

Dilana - Time After Time, Cindy Lauper - Wow! It's just her and an acoustic guitar and it is unbelievable! This girl can do no wrong! This performance is completely different from anything else she's done and she totally rocks it! Yes, I know I'm using a lot of exclamation points in this comment, but she deserves it! Watch, watch, watch!

Josh - No Rain, Blind Melon - Vocally, it's ok, just not my style. I'm not a big fan of the wandering around stage...I think it's better to walk strategically, and he definitely needs to work on that. I just don't really dig him at all. The band hates it as well.

Storm - Anything, Dramaram - Great song! I like Storm - she's gorgeous, has a big voice, great personality and stage presence - but I feel like she's sort of a wimpy Dilana. The band really loves her, though, and she's definitely dynamite onstage and spot-on vocally. It will be interesting if it comes down to those two!

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home