Thursday, July 13, 2006

Rock Star : Week 2

Here's what I thought about the Rock Star performances this week...

Magni, "My Generation" (The Who) - He was definitely channeling JD in stage performance this week (I'll let you decide if that's a good or bad thing!). The vocals and energy were way better than last week, but he hasn't really won me over.

Jenny, "Tainted Love" (Soft Cell) - One of my pet peeves is people who set the mic stand too low so that they have to slouch to sing into it. And that's what Jenny does. It's just one more thing I didn't like about her performance. I don't like her voice at all.

Jill, "Violet" (Hole) - Why is she wearing a wedding dress? And why won't she stop screaming? Dave Navarro had one of his best comments when he said her "Courtney Love impersonation made [him] uncomfortable." She tried to defend her look saying it was all her interpretation and Dave came back with, "Well, I think if you check the album cover, you'll see Courtney Love in a white dress holding a bouquet of roses, so..." It was awesome! Gilby agreed there was too much screaming, but I have to say, she is an interesting performer.

Zayra, "You Really Got Me" (The Kinks) - I don't want to overstate my feelings here, but I really hate her. She's very Euro-style and I just can't see that fitting in with Tommy Lee, you know? At the end of her performance, Gilby noted, "You really have no idea what we're looking for in a singer. Do you even own a record by one of our bands?" To which Zayra responded, "Um, I've heard of your music, but I was in diapers back then." And the crowd went wild!!

Chris, "Take Me Out" (Franz Ferdinand) - He's still got the Jim Morrison curly hair from last week...maybe he thinks it's his lucky charm? He just has no stage presence and does not have the voice to make up for it. Dave says he looks like someone who won a charity contest to be there, that he lacks authenticity, and I agree.

Dilana, "Ring of Fire" (Johnny Cash) - OMG, I love her! You must go and watch her performance from this week. She is exactly like what June Carter Cash would be like today...if June was a vampire! I love it and so do they!

Josh, "Arms Wide Open" (Creed) - He honestly has even less stage presence than Chris. There is no movement save the unnecessary and inappropriate vocal runs. He has a nice voice, but does not put it to good use in this performance.

Phil, "If You Could Only See" (Tonic) - One of my all time favorite songs! I really want to show Phil some love for singing the Switchfoot song last week, but I just don't like him...the way he moves or sings. Jason agrees with me, but Tommy likes his "swagger." Jason says (in my favorite quote of the night), "Sometimes, I'd like to see you just plant your feet...and CRUSH IT!!!" This was accompanied by an acting out of the "crushing it". Love it!

Storm, "Surrender" (Cheaptrick) - Again, an awesome song! She has the opposite problem as Phil - her voice is almost too strong for this song. She has the most unrealized potential of anyone, I think. I look forward to seeing her develop as a performer.

Patrice, "Heart Shaped Box" (Nirvana) - She is really pretty and has a beautiful voice. I don't know that this was the best song choice for her, but she handled the complicated melody really well. Plus, she actually played the electric guitar! Really solid performance.

Lukas, "Don't Panic" (Coldplay) - I get that he is trying to show range, but this performance doesn't hit the high note that last week's did. It was cool to hear this song with a more raw edge. I think Lukas also has really great potential.

Ryan, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (The Rolling Stones) - He doesn't really do anything for me, but he does have cool hair. Tommy says that when he thinks of The Rolling Stones, he thinks of Mick Jagger show-boating..."So show me some boat!" I can only imagine that means ramp it up a bit next time.

Dana, "Born to Be Wild" (Steppenwolf) - She'd be a great cruise performer, but rock is not her thing. Tommy says it's more like "Born to be Mild." And he's right!

Toby, "Somebody Told Me" (The Killers) - He totally rocked this way more than The Killers do! Yet he dialed it back in all the right places. You should catch his performance as well. He's truly one of the very few who looks (and acts...and sings) like he really belongs up on that stage. He's my early pick to win for sure.

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home