Monday, July 10, 2006

Summer Movie Update...

I've recently seen Superman Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and can highly recommend both.

Superman was excellent! The special effects were good, Brandon Routh bears a striking resemblance to Christopher Reeve (even his voice seems to sound familiar), and Kate Bosworth impressed me as Lois Lane (I wasn't sure about her in the role, but by the end of the film, she had won me over). The story picks up five years after Superman leaves Metropolis to search for the remains of his home planet, Krypton. Lois Lane has just won a Pulitzer prize for an editorial entitled "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman" and is engaged with a young son. Lex Luthor breaks out of prison just in time to pull one over on Superman and cause general mayhem. Kevin Spacey in this role is deliciously devilish. He's one of my favorite actors anyway, and he really steals every scene in which he appears.

Though I loved Batman Begins, I was really pleased to see the powers that be continue the story of Superman rather than go the prequel route. Many critics have complained that the story seems to start out too slow, only picking up speed about halfway in. I have to disagree. I think if we had been plunged back into this world, watching someone else as Superman, it would have been too traumatic. Instead, we are eased into it and have the opportunity to catch up with everyone before getting deep into the storyline. I already loved Brian Singer for his handling of the first two X-Men movies, and I'm so impressed with what he's done with Superman.

Pirates 2 is everything you think it will be. The first movie was a surprise to everyone, including me. It has become one of my go-to films and I was very excited to see the sequel. I had forgotten how much impact the score of this film really has, but it's almost a character in its own right here. The music is swashbuckling excitement itself! The villains, men enslaved on Davy Jones' ship who mutate into sea creatures the longer they're in service, are not quite as cool as those on Captain Barbossa's ship, and, to be honest, they're a little disturbing to watch. Bill Nighy is great as Davy Jones, but the tentacles around his head are just too distracting. Were it not for that, I think this film would be just as good as the first one. Johnny Depp is amazing as Jack Sparrow, and Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are in fine form. But I know I won't be able to watch this one over and over like I can the first because of those villains. :: Shiver!!! ::

Second movies in a trilogy are usually the most frustrating to watch. They don't begin, they don't end. They're just the middle. Pirates 2 does a great job of continuing the story and setting up the third movie. Yes, it's frustrating, but the last few moments are very exciting. It certainly makes me anxious for the third film...which is just what a second film should do!

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home