Thursday, July 06, 2006

Rock on, baby!

Rock Star : Supernova is here! Tommy Lee (formerly of Motley Crue), Gilby Clarke (Guns'n'Roses), and Jason Newsted (Metallica) are looking for a frontperson for their new band, Supernova.

Wednesday was the performance show. Here's what I thought:

Storm, Pinball Wizard - Not necessarily one of my favorites, but she has potential. I liked her more in retrospect than I did at the time. And she definitely held her own singing one of the greatest rock songs ever!

Ryan, Iris - Weak. Just, weak.

Toby, Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Definitely one of the best performances of the night!! He's good looking without being too pretty and has a great voice. I can't wait to hear more!

Patrice, Somebody to Love - One of my all-time favorite songs! She did great vocally, but needs a little better stage presence. Anybody who can keep up with Grace Slick, though, is a winner in my book!

Magni, Satisfaction - No. He has this odd way of skip/stumbling around the stage that's very disconcerting. In someone with more talent, that might be endearing. Here it's just one more thing to dislike.

Zayra, Bring Me to Life - There's no way this girl can work with Supernova, even if Jason Newsted did propose to her right there on stage! :) The Latin accent comes through really strong and her voice is, um, unique. It could be produced really interestingly, I think, but it's not right for rock and roll.

Jenny, How You Remind Me - She held an electric guitar while she performed (note: yes, held, not played), which looked cool, but wasn't enough to cover up the out-of-tuneness in her performance. Way too sweet for Supernova.

Josh, She Talks to Angels - Kind of a weak beginning, but ended up being an amazing performance! He looks and sounds a little like Adam Levine from Maroon 5, but I think he really could add that soulful sound into whatever Tommy Lee's got cooking with Supernova.

Matt, Yellow - He definitely has a "right now" voice, fitting in with bands like The Killers, Keane, and Coldplay, but I don't think it's strong enough to pull off real rock.

Dilana, Lithium - Holy cow! I was literally a little frightened during this performance. And I mean that in the best possible way! She has the dirtiest voice I've ever heard. And if you don't know what I mean by dirty, I'm sorry. I know of no better word to describe it. It's so low and rumbling! Except for the aimless jumping around the stage (a little more polish on that will go a long way!) at the end, this was a flawless performance. Excellent song choice for her voice too!

Dana, I'm the Only One - Too sweet for rock.

Phil, Cult of Personality - Not nearly a strong enough voice to pull off this song. He'll be one of the first to go, I think.

Jill, Piece of My Heart - She yelled her way through this one. Her abs will keep her in the competition for a few weeks, but I don't think she's got the chops to make it in the long run.

Chris, Roxanne - Okay, so I'm a huge Sting freak. He has made or contributed to the making of some of the best music of the last 30 years. I rarely think there's any need for improvement on anything Sting touched. Chris, however, felt like this song needed to be made more relevant. Apparently relevant to him means to suck. Tremendously. He's my prediction for the one going home this week.

Lukas, Rebel Yell - One of the great songs to come out of the 80's. And Lukas (along with the amazing-as-ever House Band) successfully reworks it a bit to make it sound totally today. Though he seems like the cocky one of the bunch, he's also one of the most talented. If he could just ease up on that eye makeup a bit!!

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home