Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Oblivious Blogger Syndrome...

So, this blog thing has obviously become really popular lately, especially among the EC crowd. I have really enjoyed getting back in touch with friends. I like reading the funny stories and especially trying to figure out the "big" questions with all of you. Some of what I've read has been eye-opening, some of it challenging, and some of it thought-provoking.

And then there's the rest. There seems to be a condition running rampant among several frequent bloggers and particularaly some frequent commenters. I'm going to call it the Oblivious Blogger Syndrome (OBS). Those who suffer from OBS tend to forget that what they're posting is on the Internet for anyone to see. They also ignore the fact that people who read blogs don't always comment, so you really never know who might be reading. In addition, EC is a fairly small community and word gets around pretty quickly (even among alumni). Believe me when I say, you have no idea who is reading your posts and comments.

People with OBS post the first thing that pops into their brain without thinking through what the impression of the reader may be. They use foul language, spout controversial opinions, and share really personal information. They forget they're on the World Wide Web and think they're writing in their journal or talking over a private Instant Message.

I have been to blogs where I literally felt uncomfortable and a bit embarrassed for the person posting or commenting. I'm not asking anyone to be fake or change themselves, I'm just saying...be aware. Don't be so naive to think that no one of consequence is reading. And please, for all of us, proofread.

Peace. Out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

Michelle...I couldn't have said it better myself. I feel embarrassed at times for what people decide to share...and their reasoning, "it's just who I am...I'm going to be myself." Still, like you said there are a lot of folks who read blogs, who don't comment. Like...my mom, my students, my friends who are not Christians...and at times...they say, "If that's what Christianity is about...it's no different than non-christians...and I don't need it.

We are to be the salt of the earth...and instead we are a stench in His nostrils.

Excellent post! I agree with you 110%...and if I need to be "called out.." Girl...I want you to do that!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Barrett said...

Damnit.

12:57 PM  
Blogger hansen said...

is it me...cause i said something about a superspiritual church people and then another one about stupid christian chruch signs...but i tell my youth to read it...

i think it's barret...he's the culprit

1:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ok, ok!! Let me say (again), I am not asking anyone to not be themselves or not share something they feel like sharing. I just think some people (not all people) are oblivious (or act oblivious) to the fact that a lot of people read these posts and comments. All I'm asking is that everyone be aware and make their decisions accordingly.

If you are comfortable with the things you post, that's what's important. I'm just doing my part to raise OBS awareness! :)

PS - Ali, I love and miss you too!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

I was immediately worried that this was about me...but I'm pretty sure I just report informational things about my life, and not necessarily incredibly personal or important things. My rule is not to post anything that someone couldn't observe me saying/doing. But, yeah, I'm still worried...

1:18 PM  
Blogger - said...

It needed to be said and you said it. Kudos. Reading someone else's diary feels dirty. Letting anyone else read your diary is just a problem.

12:18 PM  
Blogger B-rock said...

i dont care who reads what i put, im real and i say what i think even if it has to do with "good ol EC"

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home