Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Fashion..

For reasons beyond my control, I sped through the pre-Oscar stuff, so I don't have nearly as much here as I had for the Golden Globes. However, here's what I think about the fashion I did see...

Rachel Weisz - In a simple, billowing, black gown, she looked comfortable, but a little drab. I can't imagine having to walk a Red Carpet while seven months pregnant, but that's no excuse to be boring! Remember Catherine Zeta-Jones when she won for Chicago?

Amy Adams - This relative unknown who was nominated for her role in Junebug (and also portrayed Jim's ex-girlfriend on The Office!) looked stunning. Her hair and makeup was perfect, and the chocolate hue of her dress accented her coloring. The dress itself was a bit on the ornate side, but Adams carried it off well.

Naomi Watts - The cut and color of this dress were very pretty (asymetrical flesh colored), but the detail on the front made her look like she was molting! Come on, Naomi, you can do better than that!

Keira Knightley - Absolutely one of the best of the night! Knightley is quickly becoming a Red Carpet favorite and for good reason. This deep burgundy, hour glass shaped dress was gorgeous on its own, but Knightley really pulled the look together. She does a wonderful job of choosing really sophisticated gowns, but keeping them youthful (thus the funky jewelry and sweet ponytail).

Michelle Williams - I feel like Michelle Williams doesn't really have a look of her own, and thus relies on other people to dress her. This awards season, she has really been pulling out the old-glamour stuff, which is nice, but sometimes feels too old on her (she should talk to Keira Knightley about fixing that!). The dress she wore last night had a nice cut and the neckline was gorgeous, but the color (a deep mustard yellow) was unflattering and sort of caught me off guard.

Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith - Always well dressed and coordinated, the Smiths did not disappoint! Will was in a dark navy pinstripe that provided a centered foundation for the electric blue dress Jada was wearing. They looked so classy and gorgeous individually and as a couple.

Jessica Alba - My favorite look of the night! As they said on one of the pre-shows, she actually looked like an Oscar! A perfect tan, gorgeous gold Versace gown with sparkly elegant details, and great hair. She really looked absolutely perfect for the occasion, for her age, and for her personal style.

Sandra Bullock - Not one of my favorites. I think she looked nice, but her hair was a little too messy for my taste, and I felt like the design of her dress made it look like her body shaper was peeking over the top. Everyone went on and on about the pockets, but Sarah Jessica Parker did this a while back and I think she pulled it off a little better.

Nicole Kidman - My second favorite look of the night! She was absolutely glowing with long, straight hair to match her long, straight dress. Her coloring, style...everything was perfect!

Felicity Huffman - I didn't love this one. The hair was too matronly and the dress would have looked better if it were full length rather than shorter in front.

Reese Witherspoon - I ultimately liked her dress better as the night went on, but I didn't love it in the beginning. It was a little too princess-on-the-top-of-the-cake for me. The cut was pretty and flattering, but the silver details just didn't do it for me.

Jennifer Aniston - Between Jen's look and Nicole Kidman's, it was Eat Your Heart Out Exes! night at the Oscars! Jen looked beautiful and elegant as always.

Charlize Theron - Loved the color of the dress, but the dress itself was really over the top. Her 60's era hair was beautiful, but the dress was just too much!

Meryl Streep - Usually one of the worst dressed, Meryl looked great in a form-fitting burgundy gown. It was very flattering and perfectly age-appropriate.

All in all, the fashion was really good. I love that celebrities are still embracing the glamour and sophistication of Old Hollywood. It's the Academy Awards, for Heaven's sake! Take this time to look gorgeous, you know? There were some mis-steps, of course, but for the most part everyone looked great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home