Wednesday, March 29, 2006

For those who think music is dead...

Let me assure you, it's not! Paul and I saw Mute Math and The Working Title last night at the 40 Watt in Athens. It's my favorite kind of place to see bands like this that are relatively new, but still put on a great show. You can get right up front and rock out in the crowd.

The Working Title opened and really blew me away. I had been told previously that they were really good and sounded a lot like one of my favorite bands, Lovedrug. I have to say...I almost think The Working Title does Lovedrug better than Lovedrug does! The singers have that same kind of raspy, "dirty" voice that sounds high and low all at the same time. They both regularly flip into their falsetto without sounding wimpy, and both play guitar and keyboard. The Working Title just seemed to have a little more polish to their sound. I was extremely impressed.

Then came Mute Math. I had been hearing their name for over a year now, but hadn't really had any exposure to them personally. All I can say is I have been missing out! It's hard to describe their sound. They themselves say they "blame it on the last 40 years of music." It's true. There's a lot of 80's influence (particularly from Sting) and a good bit of electronica. Yet it's still unique. The album is consistent and beautiful, but doesn't compare to the live show. Mute Math is one of the most energetic bands I've ever seen (Blindside being the most energetic!) and yet the drummer was so tight, he sounded like a drum machine.

I realize I'm gushing at this point, so I'll wrap it up soon. Just trust me, if you're looking for some great new music, you need to hear these bands! You can listen to both on MySpace. Enjoy!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

yup...i saw them a couple weeks ago in charlotte...best show i've been to in a while...they sound just as good live, if not better live than on their album...glad you got to see them...

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home