Saturday, November 11, 2006

Weighty decisions...

I feel like most of the people I know are in the process of making some kind of huge decision. Where should I move? When should I move? Should I find a new job? What if I can't find a job period? Should I be doing something different altogether? These are all questions that can weigh so heavily on a mind.

One of my most recent big decisions was whether or not to keep watching Studio 60 on NBC. (Ha! Gotcha...and you were all ready for some serious we'll-all-get-through-this-together message!) This was the show that was really on the fence for me this season. I stuck with it, wanting it to be a hit and a new favorite. All of the ingredients were there. Great writing, fantastic editing, looooooong Steadi-cam shots. And yet...there was just no spark. Maybe it's too pretentious. I honestly don't know. But this week I made my decision. I put the nails in the coffin when I deleted my Season Pass and removed it from my list of TV Shows on Myspace.

What's really exciting, though, is that I did, after all, discover a new favorite this year. Paul and I have been watching earlier seasons of Battlestar Gallactica trying to get caught up for this one (the third). We've finished Season 1 and are about 1/3 of the way through Season 2. It is unbelievable. A show has not captured my attention like this since Alias (and more recently, Heroes), but I think BG surpasses even that. It's got the great writing, great acting, and great special effects that one would require in a sci-fi series. But it also goes deeper than that.

Now, I've never been a huge sci-fi fan, so this may be pretty standard stuff, but what I really love about BG is the questions it forces you to ask yourself about humanity and the existence of a soul, about faith and organized religion. Don't get me wrong, I love to veg out in front of the TV as much as the next person, but I also am loving watching a show that requires and encourages such deep thought.

If you're a fan too, let me know...we need to talk! However, please don't share any spoilers here. I'm trying so hard to stay away from them and be surprised!

Peace. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home