Sunday, January 07, 2007

A glimmer of hope...

I was having a conversation with a good friend the other day and he made the statement, "You know I'm not Pentecostal Holiness. I'm barely charismatic." And though he was joking in a way, it was also a serious statement. It's exactly that kind of statement that sums up how a lot of people around my age are feeling about charismatic denominations right now. Just kind of tired of it and fed up.

I certainly feel that way at times. I grew up in charismatic churches, mostly PH*, and have attended/worked at a PH college for almost ten years now. I've seen pretty much everything the PH denomination has to offer. I've had some amazing experiences and grown so much in my faith, but I've also become kind of cynical at times because of the downside that seems to be inherent in a charismatic denomination...hype, emotion for the sake of emotion, catch phrases and buzz words, and some teaching that is just not theologically sound. I've really been thinking lately that I might want to separate myself from charismatic denominations for a while and move to something more liturgical, more consistent.

Last night**, I had the opportunity to be part of a Pentecostal service that will go down in my personal history as one of the best experiences of my spiritual life. Understand, I'm using "Pentecostal" to describe the service, not the denomination of the audience in attendance. It was such an awesome and refreshing experience. Such a wonderful reminder that when a time of corporate worship comes out of an honest and sincere place, the Holy Spirit can move in a way that truly changes lives. It was something I really needed, I think, to renew my faith in the more charismatic facets of praise and worship (not the genre, the actions).

I so want to find a church body that is able to humbly embrace all sides of a life lived for Christ. There should be liturgical elements, ways to honor those who have gone on before us, a sacred approach to disciplines, a respect for and regular practice of communion. But also joyous and even boisterous praise and adoration of God, an allowance for the Holy Spirit to work through us in Pentecostal ways.

Does a church like this exist? Shouldn't it? Are there any of you who are feeling the same frustrations as me? If so, please share here.

Peace. Out.



* PH stands for Pentecostal Holiness. I'm not picking on the PH denomination in particular in this post. It's just what I've been part of for the majority of my life.

** Last night, I attended the Crabb Family concert in Warner Robins, GA.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashleigh said...

Another Crabb Family concert? Girl, you are becoming their #1 fan! :)

I bet you're just so excited to see those college students come back. ;)

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your desire to find a church as you described is interesting. Twenty years ago I left the pastoral ministry in the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement and went into secular work. A couple of years ago I returned to ministry although it was in the United Methodist Church. I can relate to everything you described, both the desire for the more contemplative and solemn, the celebration of the Lord's Table, Liturgical elements in worship, yet the openness and willingness to allow the Holy Spirit to work in Pentecostal power. Our church is open to that, but at this point still very traditional.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home