Sunday, April 10, 2005

So...this is blogging...

Pardon me, if I seem new to this...it's because I am! I've always admired bloggers from afar...to be able to put your thoughts and feelings and actions out there for everyone to read...it seems brave. I don't necessarily consider myself brave, but I am open to new things and decided to give this a shot.

You might be wondering about the name of my blog. If you're anywhere from 23-30 years old, however, it might make more sense to you than others. I had, of course, heard of a mid-life crisis, but had never heard of one that came in the quarterlife. Then, all of a sudden, I was about to turn 25 and felt panicked and weird and...older. I felt like, wow, I'm a certifiable adult now. I didn't know if I was ready for that. I didn't know if I had done enough with my life to already be turning 25. I didn't feel the sense of accomplishment I always assumed I'd feel at this stage in my life. Should I have kids by now? Should I have already gotten my Master's? Am I the person I really want to be? And if not, am I at least on my way?

I know those are feelings that a lot of people experience in their 40's and 50's, and it almost seems ridiculous to feel them at such a young age. But, there I was, feeling them nonetheless. That's when I came up with the name "quarterlife crisis." Only, I just found out I'm not the first. Apparently, people have been noticing for a few years now that an increasing number of twenty-somethings are having these conflicted feelings in their first years out of college. It's an odd time in one's life...sort of an in-between time. Are you still a kid? Are you really grown up? It's just weird.

I haven't figured it all out yet, but I'm working on it. If you're going through the same thing, maybe you'll get something from my musings. If not, hopefully you can at least be amused at the ramblings of a 25 year old in crisis.

Check out these books for more info on quarterlife crises.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Hey Michelle! Loved the blog! And just wait until you are 26! You will really start feeling it. I am a new blogger too! Mine is julieedwards@blogspot.com and there is a link to Ed's on my blog as well! Have a great week!

Julie

9:22 AM  
Blogger Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

Yeah--I turn 25 in a week and a half--and I wonder some of those things...I feel like I am supposed to be an adult, but am I? I know that I'm definitely NOT doing what I want to be doing forever. If I didn't have Christ, I'd be having a serious anxiety attack!

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home